Five companies receive $50,000 state grants to commercialize 'green' tech:
Syracuse, NY -- Five Central New York companies received state grants totaling $250,000 today to commercialize "green and clean" technologies.
The awards were made in the latest round of the Syracuse Center of Excellence's Commercialization Assistance Program.
Each of the following companies received $50,000 grants:
• Air Innovations, of Cicero, will commercialize a metal hydride for air conditioning.
• Cortland Research LLC, of Homer, will commercialize an energy conservation system that provides data and autonomous control for reducing energy costs.
• Healthway Home Products, of Pulaski, will commercialize a disinfecting filtration system technology for schools, healthcare and commercial buildings.
• O’Brien & Gere, of Syracuse, will use the grant to accelerate development of a water quality monitor to detect taste and odor.
• WavElectric, of Ithaca and Syracuse, will develop and test a wave-energy converter prototype.
The announcement was made at the Center of Excellence by Assemblyman William Magnarelli, D-Syracuse, CenterState Corporation for Economic Opportunity and National Grid.
Center of Excellence officials said the grants are expected to create or retain about 100 jobs in Central New York.
Established in 2001, the program has awarded $1.75 million to 24 Upstate companies to help bring to market new products and services in the indoor environmental quality, water resources, and clean and renewable energy fields.
Officials said the program has created or retained more than 150 jobs and generated more than $400 million in new revenue for companies in the central Upstate region.
National Grid has assisted the program with a $100,000 grant as part of its CleanTechn Incubation Program.
The Center of Excellence is a federation of companies and educational institutions that promotes job creation through collaborations in research, development and education.
Contact Rick Moriarty at firstname.lastname@example.org or (315) 470-3148. Follow him on Twitter @RickMoriartyCNY and on Facebook at rick.moriarty.92.